Sunday, March 11, 2007

Infomercial Takeover

The majority of the time I don't mind the fact that we don't have cable or satellite TV. Most of the shows I like are on prime time network stations. With just our rabbit ears, we pick up 11 "through the air" channels plus a handful of religious stations. If the weather's right and it's late enough at night, we can even get the Home Shopping Network.

The lack of cable/satellite TV also provides a form of entertainment when the telemarketers call peddling Dish TV or Dish Network. Their first question is always, "Do you have cable OR satellite?" My response is, of course, neither. They always follow up with, "Oh. So you don't watch TV?" It seems to be beyond their grasp that you can watch TV without paying for it. They hang up perplexed.

Once in a while I do wish we had more channels to choose from. Today was one of those days. I turned on the TV to find the same infomercial on three of our eleven channels. If I switched channels fast enough, I could make it sound like a broken record. I settled on some Sunday morning political debate. About five minutes later, the political show ended. What was on next? The same infomercial. The TV got turned off and the radio on. I just wasn't up to learning how to even a ten year old can make money buying and trading stocks. Maybe next weekend.

1 comment:

Mommy Dearest said...

I like to tell the telemarketers that I think TV is evil and see how long it takes them to come up with a response.