Saturday, February 3, 2007

Protesters

I'll start by saying I am certainly not in favor of the US involvement in Iraq. I think the process was poorly managed and Bush mislead people (Congress) to support his actions there. The death toll of 9-11 has been doubled due to troop casualties in Iraq. This fact makes me irate and frustrates me to no end.

That being said, I do think it is still important to support our troops. They are doing a job that I certainly am not brave enough to do. They are risking their lives daily to serve our country without any say in how that is done.

Recently a local Marine was killed while in Iraq. Thanks to other military families, he is receiving the military funeral he (and all other service people) deserves. Can you believe that a group wanted to come and protest his funeral? They claim the deaths from 9-11 and the War on Terror are the US's punishment for tolerating homosexuality.

I just can't even fathom that people can be so intolerant and ignorant that they would travel half-way across the country to protest a funeral. What a waste of time, money and thought. Kudos to Governor Gregoire of Washington for signing a bill limiting such protests.

By the way, the group didn't show. Maybe local support for the Marine and his family scared them away.

No comments: