Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Peck of Peppers


I don't actually know how much a peck is, but I picked peppers from my garden today and am happy with the harvest. They are pablanos, all from one plant. I strung them together in hopes of preserving the peppers by drying. Air drying seemed to be the less pungent alternative the oven or dehydrator.


Munchkin was fascinated by the whole process. He was very excited to help by handing me each pepper as I used a needle and thread to connect them. I have to admit I was a bit fascinated too. It never fails to amaze me that I can grow such an abundance of food right outside my door. It is truly fun and satisfying to pluck items from the garden and use them right away. For lunch we had BLTs with lettuce and tomato that I picked just minutes before we ate. Munchkin shares my enjoyment and thinks it's a treat to pick the vegetables. Yesterday, he was very proud to bring me a tomato he had picked all by himself. Next we'll work on only picking the red ones.


No comments: