Thursday, July 12, 2007

Waffle Sandwich

There's no picture to accompany this tip because sometimes it's too hard to wait until after the camera is done to eat.

I saw a tip some time ago that you can make grilled cheese sandwiches with a waffle iron. I've done it in the past, but kicked it up a notch yesterday. It was too hot to turn on the stove, and we were tired of meals that didn't require cooking. I put ham, sandwich pepperoni, Muenster cheese and smoked Gouda between two slices of bread. A little butter on the exterior of the bread and the sandwiches were ready for the barely preheated waffle iron. I pressed down with the lid as hard as I could for a few seconds and let it cook. When the cheese started melting out with a sizzle and the bread was golden brown, the sandwiches were done.

It takes a fraction of the time to cook a grilled cheese on the waffle iron because both sides are cooking at once. The product is a cross between a panini, grilled cheese and Monte Cristo. Yummy and fast. My kind of summer meal.

No comments: